Who we are
The Rolling English Company is owned by Linda Blackburne. Linda has a degree in English from Leeds University, and is a trained newspaper journalist (NCTJ) and a trained English teacher (PGCE Birmingham). She was indentured to Lincolnshire Standard Group Newspapers before moving to the Cambridge Evening News as a senior reporter and to The Times Educational Supplement as a senior reporter, commissioning editor and magazine deputy editor. She has specialised in health, education and business.
Linda has worked overseas as a news reporter and feature writer for the Johannesburg Star and the Sunday Independent. She has also worked as a communications officer for the North York Moors National Park Authority where she was responsible for writing and editing the authority’s Moors Messenger newspaper for the park’s 40,000 residents.
She has taught English at King James’s Secondary School in Knaresborough and Lady Lumley’s School in Pickering, where she was both a class teacher and a one-to-one tutor. She is a founder member of the 10-year-old Rosedale Abbey book club, Bookworms, and has written The Mini Rough Guide of Teesside, a travel guide for the Middlesbrough region.
Linda is currently working on a set of vintage posters to reflect the history and landscape of Rosedale Abbey.
Clients / Work History
- Rough Guides
- North York Moors National Park
- Yorkshire Ridings magazine
- Yorkshire Post
- Gazette and Herald, North Yorkshire
- The Independent, London
- The Times Educational Supplement, London
- Microsoft Encarta, London
- Gillies Jones Glass, North Yorkshire
- Sunday Independent, Johannesburg
- The Star, Johannesburg
- Primary magazine, News International, London
- The Times, London
- Cambridge Evening News
- Skegness Standard, Lincolnshire
- Grimsby News, Lincolnshire
- Lady Lumley’s Secondary School, Pickering
- King James’s Secondary School, Knaresborough
- Summercroft Nursery School, Bishop’s Stortford
- Primrose Hill Secondary School, Birmingham
- Four Dwellings High School, Birmingham